Welcome

Board Statistic

1. Total Posts: 126
  2. Total Resolved Posts: 51
  3. Total Unresolved Posts: 79
  4. Latest Member: Marmaduke
Online Users

Generals HQ Forum and Discussions

Welcome to the Generals HQ Forums. This forum is to talk about Strategy War-gaming and titles worthy of note. And as a upload center. Feel free to add your opinions on the titles you like if there isn't a forum for it then post in the General Discussions forum and when there is enough active interest by votes* and likes* given by members then that will be put up as a category for discussion for the future. We are an interactive group that wants to keep up with new software titles that come up from time to time.
  1. gazsom
  2. Love Fool Avatar Displayed Sherlock Holmes
  3. Discussion on ATG Tactics
  4. Saturday, 28 March 2015
Seperate subject on relativity of units in ATG and there effectiveness

Open chat

Have fun above all else first
Old Rank "Emperor"
Founder since 2006
Accepted Answer Pending Moderation
Votes
Undo
I am a little disappointed in the response to this forum. It was not my intention to have a monologue. I would like to learn things from the rest of you also.

Tanks-I use light tanks as my main offensive weapon. The reason is that they are reasonably effective against medium tanks especially if they are at a higher level, In other worrd medium tanks also suffer losses when attacking a light armor formation.

The main reason for the use of medium tanks is that they are cheap to produce. A tank factory can produce 4 light tanks per turn but only 2 medium tanks. The consuption of ore for the construction of Medium,Heavy Tanks and Tank Destroyers is also significantly higher. Ore is a critical resource for all weapon systems. I have found that there is never enough for everything you want to produce.

Another reason for reliance on light tanks is oil consuption. The larger tanks use significantly more oil. In a large conflict using tanks, planes, trucks etc, oil consuption can easily reach 30,000 units per turn. Think about that and compare it to your present level of supply in the more recent game

Your thoughts?.
Old Forum Rank "Archduke"
Member since 2011
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Discussion on ATG Tactics
  3. # 1
romanov
Game Moderator
Votes
Undo
All Unit Types

Be careful in how many units you put in a hex. Too many units and casualties are multiplied when they dont need to be.

Especially so with infantry.

I think a bit of trial and eror as to how many to stack in a hex, also taking terrain into consideration.
Old Rank "Archduke"
Founder since 2006
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 2
gazsom
Super Admin
Votes
Undo
Ok here is a heads up here about upper echelon HQs, like Army HQ etc

This can occur with any of your front line Offices HQ, provided that you keep up with the Staff that's required which is the left box besides the picture of the man.

Now these officer get abilities and Cards that define their role.

I have just received in a solo game I'm trialing where one of my front line Corps HQ or the HQ you have near your divisions, a Card which is called an Operational Planning Card. This can only be issued to lower echelon HQ units. Also there is a training lower units card, this can be used to also train lower echelon HQ.

I note that Army or strategic HQ units obviously do not get experience, because they are not at the front. But they have benefits that have arisen from once being a front line commander.

I think that this is something that not too many players have used in this game, and I feel it is a fantastic feature to show everyone, so as these games go on, I would like if possible to be able to make a mention of this in a game bulletin sometime, where Generals X has got certain abilities, like the fighting George Patton had in WW2 with the 3rd US Army, and so on.

Touches the imagination a bit
Have fun above all else first
Old Rank "Emperor"
Founder since 2006
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 3
romanov
Game Moderator
Votes
Undo
Infantry Units

From my observation of units so far:

Rifle units - I guess cannon fodder for want of a better term, but they are needed, otherwise better units suffer too many casualties.

SMG - Good on defence, seem to be better in rougher terrain, but taht could be just coincidence from what i have seen.

MG - needed on defence, especially against other infantry types. Their slowmovement may be the hindrance while attacking.

Bazooka - needed against tanks in thedefence or offence

Mortars - unsure here as would have to experiment with different situations.

All Infantry overall seem to be best on the defensive, especially when combined with Anti Tank Guns and Field Guns.

Depending on the situation then vehicles are combined with them for movement
Old Rank "Archduke"
Founder since 2006
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 4
Votes
Undo
Let's strart the discussion on Infantry in ATG. What is the value of Infantry? Should I put a great deal of effort into upgrading it? What is the best use for Infantry?
[b]What is your experience?[/b]

From my experience, infantry is of course your basic unit. You need a lot of infantry to defend territory. Infantry can entrench so it's most effective in dug in positions supported by machine guns, infantry guns, and anti tank guns. On the defensive this type of force is very effective against direct assault. However, this type of defensive fornation is very vulnerable to dive bombers and especially artillery. Both of these type of attacks cause heavy casualties, loss of readiness, and lower entrenchment. In most cases any fortifications that the defenders are in will be destroyed by air or artillery.

What about infantry on the offensive?. To have any effect on offense the infantry needs to be mobile. That means no AT guns or anti tank guns unless you can provide horses, trucks or halftracks. This is difficut to provide in the early part of the game when you need tanks more than trucks. I have not had much success with infantry attacking on its own unless the target has been weakened by artillery or air. Combined arms are effective but I am not sure that the infantry adds much to an armoured attack. This goes for SMG also. I have not seen a great benefit provided by SMG. SMG cost more and have a higher casualty rate that regular infantry on both offense and defense.

As for upgrading infantry, I have never played a game with higher than level III. They are better of course but I do not think it means much in the overall plan. One of the problems is that you need a lot of Infantry from the beginning. by the time you get to level II. you already have a lot of Infantry already built. To upgrade all that Infantry is very expensive in supply. In the last game, I had 5000+ infantry and I would never have found the supply to upgrade them to level III. My advice is to either stop at level II or concentrate on Inf upgrades as rapidly as possile so you get to a high level before you have thousands of infantry.

Basically infantry is cannon fodder with one exception. When combined with tanks, they provide eyes for the tanks. Tanks by themselves cannot see into the next hex so they can easily run into a surprise.

Old Forum Rank "Archduke"
Member since 2011
  1. more than a month ago
  3. # 5

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.